So Easter has come and gone! Whilst Mr Nik and I spent most [read ALL] of the Easter break renovating our kitchen, my plans to perfect and practice the wonton recipe will have to wait.
But I did manage to christen our beautiful new kitchen with a dish that'll make my grandmother proud. I just LOVE noodles - Almost as much as I love my husband. And since I grew up with my Shan-Dongese grandmother, I was always extremely fed well with delicious homemade dumplings and a million different varieties of noodles. Hmmm...
Well, crispy noodles with shredded pork were one of my all-time faves and she used to cook this for me after school - everyday - at my request :) After seeing it being made for me soooo many times, I thought I should give it a go and, for my first attempt, I don't think I did too badly. The gravy could have done with a little chicken stock and corn starch, but next time, I'll know.
But I did manage to christen our beautiful new kitchen with a dish that'll make my grandmother proud. I just LOVE noodles - Almost as much as I love my husband. And since I grew up with my Shan-Dongese grandmother, I was always extremely fed well with delicious homemade dumplings and a million different varieties of noodles. Hmmm...
Well, crispy noodles with shredded pork were one of my all-time faves and she used to cook this for me after school - everyday - at my request :) After seeing it being made for me soooo many times, I thought I should give it a go and, for my first attempt, I don't think I did too badly. The gravy could have done with a little chicken stock and corn starch, but next time, I'll know.
Here's how I made this:
- Marinate shredded meat with a splash of rice wine, 1 tsp of corn starch, 2 tsp of soy sauce, and some white pepper.
- Make the gravy with 2 tbsp of oyster sauce, 2 tbsp of soy sauce, 3 tbsp of warm water, 1 tsp of sugar, generous splash of rice wine.
- Heat wok with bit of sunflower oil until smoking.
- Fry the cooked [and patted-dry] noodles until crispy. Flip and toss occasionally.
- Once noodles are crispy, dish and set aside.
- Keep wok hot, add a little bit of sunflower oil, saute garlic.
- Chuck in the meat and fry until opaque and throw in the tofu. Stir-fry until tofu is browned.
- Add scallions and chopped savoy cabbage [in absence of bak choi]
- Add gravy. Serve on top of bed of crispy noodles.
Well, it was Easter after all, so we thought we'd treat ourselves to a nice bottle of Veuve Clicquot Brut to complement the noodles :) And here's what followed as dessert:
Coconut ice-cream topped with Hershey chocolate sauce, summer berries and served in a dark chocolate cup.
Lush.
I WANT MORE!
ReplyDeleteyummy, i have some leftover roast pork so will improvise a little
ReplyDeletedo you have a ceramic hob?
I also see you have discovered hipstamatic!
omg, char siu with this will be fantastic! A real classic - you could even add some baby bak choi for a little extra crunch.
ReplyDeleteand yes! I do have a ceramic hob - not by choice tho, it's just rare to have gas hobs in DK. How did you know?
ps - Hipstamatic is FUN! :)